The expected impacts can be listed as:
- Better understanding the impact of aircraft emissions on climate towards better policy.
- International measurement campaigns and international validation of physical and climate models.
- Operational improvements in support to achieve the collective medium term global aspirational goal of keeping the global net CO2 emissions from international aviation from 2020 at the same level (so-called “carbon neutral growth from 2020”).
- Enhanced role of the Union in International Organisations and multilateral fora as well as strengthened implementation, governance, monitoring and evaluation.
- Collaboration and sharing expertise on operational improvements and global market-based measures with EU and National aviation and environment research programmes.
Contribution to UN’s Sustainable Development Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.